Monday, July 27, 2009

We Should Unplug More Often


Saturday morning I made the kids turn off the tvs and we kept them off all day long until we watched The Incredible Hulk together that night. It was a really good day. They went swimming. I sat out on the deck reading and writing and just relaxing. I let them go down to the little diner a block away to get us lunch. We had a great time ! The kids made drawings on some pieces of cardboards that came off of the back of some posters that we just bought for the girls room. They even designed guitars that they cut out and then "played". I have a collection of old Fisher Price Little People that they got out and played with in the living room floor. Not once did I hear the words "I'm bored" and when we finally went to bed that night, Emily said to me "today was fun".
Sometimes I think that I could live without a tv. We could have deep family discussions, could play games, and spend more time together. As long as we don't do it on Monday, that's Bachelorette night - or Tuesday or Wednesday, that's America's Got Talent night - or Sunday, that's The Amazing Race night. Well at least we watch those things as a family - that counts right?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great! Rarely do I miss having TV. I realized how much our kids are influenced by tv when Lolita was about 4 and we were watching Dora the Explorer on Nikelodeon. The thing was riddled with commercials marketing crap directly at her. Later that day we went to the store and she said, "I want that, I saw it on tv. I need that cereal they showed it on tv. I have to have that toy vanity, I saw it on tv." Disgusting really.

    I'm glad you enjoyed your day, unplugged!

    ReplyDelete