Sunday, February 28, 2010

Honey - Did You Know That They Have Slot Machines Here?

The countdown is on ! Two weeks from today we will be rolling into fabulous Las Vegas ! This will be the first time that we have been there since I went through all of my drama and I am so excited to go. The previous four trips out there are a vague blur thanks to the meds that I was doped out of my mind on. I would make big elaborate plans to go to fancy restaurants, exciting shows, shopping, etc. and then when the time came I would be filled with this overwhelming sense of doom and would back out and go hide in the hotel room. What kind of vacation is that? I literally planned the trips based on what the hotel rooms looked like because I knew that no matter how much I wanted to get out and do fun stuff, I would ultimately end up back in the hotel room alone.

Well not this time. This time I am going to actually go to the fancy restaurants, the exciting shows, and the cool stores. This time I am going to try new foods, enjoy myself, pace myself on the drinking and actually remember the trip. That is what those meds really do. You feel like you are living in a dream and nothing feels real. That is not living - that is just existing. I am around two and a half years med free and the sky seems bluer, the air smells sweeter, and the pull of Vegas has never been stronger. This chick is ready to have her some real fun. No more hiding in hotel rooms! I used to wonder about people who would only pay $29 a night for a hotel room in Vegas because they were only going to sleep and shower there, but now I am thinking "hell - we are taking deoderant and toothpaste - we could just sleep in the car".

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Vegas. Or as I like to call it, "Extrovertland."

    As an introvert, visiting Vegas was like walking into a bizarre, fascinating, incredibly intimidating alternate universe. I loved it and I hated it. I despised the gambling and the smoke, while staring at the hypnotic lights and marvelling at the joy that is an ALL NIGHT Krispy Kreme and David Copperfield in person.

    The whole thing was like this bizarre dream. But it was tons of fun, even if I did retire to bed at 11 with my Krispy Kreme and leave my husband to play the tables alone.

    ReplyDelete