Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Red Pepper Hummus was a bad choice


I was so out of it on Friday after my colonoscopy that I didn't eat anything other than saltine crackers that day. By Saturday morning I was feeling a lot better so we ventured to Wal-Mart with three of the five kiddos to get groceries. No, we did not leave the other two locked in a closet. One was spending the night with a friend and the other one was at my sister's. I still felt a little loopy but was able to hold myself upright so I considered that a huge accomplishment.

On the forum that I am a member of, I have been writing about little challenges each week for people to do to get them out of their comfort zones. Well this week's challenge was to try a new food. A friend of mine from the forum and I were talking about how she was eating hummus for lunch and that I had never tried it. So that was my new food choice. I was going to try hummus. I wasn't really sure what it was but I was willing to give it a go. I examined several varities and flavors of the hummus items in Wal-Mart and decided on the Roasted Red Pepper. It looked fairly tasty and I am somewhat adventuous with food so what could it hurt. So for dinner that night, I ate a pretty manly helping of my hummus with garden vegetable flavored crackers. It was quite tasty.

I didn't give it another thought until around 4 am Sunday morning when I was awoken by horrible nausea. I laid there for a long time trying to tell myself that I wasn't really going to puke - that it was just going to pass and that I would be okay. I was wrong. I almost didn't make it around the corner to the bathroom. Oh my gosh - nothing burns like red pepper hummus being regurgitated back up through your nose. I was on fire !! I yelled at Derek to bring me some water and he came flying in there like he was on fire too. I drank a whole glass of water without coming up for air. Another bad idea. Evidently water and hummus cause some sort of reaction similar to vinegar and baking soda. It ALL came flying back up. I laid in the bathroom floor for the next 3 hours just grateful that this had happened on Sunday morning and not Monday when I was going to have to go back to work.

So for the past two days, all I have had to eat is saltine crackers. I didn't pay attention when I bought them and accidentally got the ones with the unsalted tops. Um ... what the heck is the point? They taste like little squares of cardboard. I would love to be able to make a run to Taco Bueno but as the old saying goes "once puked twice shy". I will stick with my cardboard squares for one more day and see how that goes.

The good news out of all of this is that I won't be having any sinus problems for months to come. The hummus pretty much cleaned me out.

1 comment:

  1. Snorting milk out of your nose is bad enough. I can't imagine red pepper hummus. I love hummus though but I'm partial to plain old boring Original hummus (chick peas, tahini, olive oil and lemon). Now if only I could find a local source for delicious, fresh pita bread I'd be set.

    ReplyDelete